Vacation on the Lake Seliger: Recreation, Sports, Hotels
If you are working in Moscow or St. Petersburg, Russia and you feel that you'd like to make a discovery tour, combining it with summer time rest and some moderate sports, hiking, swimming, fishing and rowing, consider Lake Seliger, which is approximately located in the middle of the way between Moscow and Petersburg on the Valdai highlands
1. How to get there. If you'd like to drive, then follow directions to Ostashkov: Leningradskoye Shosse or Moscow-Riga highway from Moscow. Another good idea to take a train from Moscow, or just the regular scheduled bus
2. Where to Stay. Probably, if you do not like to risk and try something unexpected, try to stay in the following hotels: Higina, Vershina Seligera. If you feel your Russian language is good enough to try staying in wild camping areas (in essence where you like and where it is not specially posted or forbidden), then plan it for June, July or August. We recommend you to discover Western part of the lake, so called Yelecki and Berezovski ples, Sobenskie Ozera
3. Fishing. Northern Pike and Sudak should be mentioned as one of the most popular species. You can easily rent small rowing boat and fish that way
4. Volgo Verkhovie, or where Volga spring begins. Please, see photo to this article, in order to get there, you can drive all the way from Ostashkov to Volgoverkhovye, where you will visit Olgin Monastery - red brick cathedral, build in 1912 on the pledges from all the Russian empire
5. Sports. Windsurfing. We recommend you the place on the lake Peno, close to Selischi village, where you have boat rentals as well as experienced instructors. Swimming, yes, of course, if you are practicing long distance swimming, Seliger is an excellent discovery, however be aware that it could be stormy. As the rule - you can swim everywhere at your risk. To avoid greater risk, have your own supporting boat to secure your swim. Pleas know that motor boats are banned on the Lake, so plan rowing boat support only
Evdokim Petrov, Pegas Planet Articles, http://www.pegasplanet.com. Taisia Karaseva is Pegas Planet CEO and concept author.
Alba Spectrum http://www.albaspectrum.com is Pegas Planet parent company and general sponsor
We also recommend you to visit Pegas Planet to read and view photos on Novinki, Nilova Pustin, Troitsa Na Perevoloke, Krovotin, Uvitsi, Zaluchie, Sobenskie Ozera.